In this posting I will look at some of the claims and assertions coming from feminists and see how much such claims can be trusted.
This data doesn't look to be silly or extraordinary, so I will accept it for use here, though I would say that male rape is likely to be more under-reported than female for reasons of shame and societal attitudes.
So, I can do some simple statistics now, using a little extra data - population statistics. Female population between 16-65 in UK is approx 21 million. Male population between same ages is less at 20 million.3
So, in a year the chance of a woman being raped is approximately 0.4% and the chance for a male is 0.06%. That means the chance of NOT being raped in a year are 99.6% and 99.94% respectively. Over a lifetime this equates to 0.99644 and 0.999444 = 84% and 97% respectively. Using the 1 in 5 figure from the survey to compare, this seems to be a reasonable figure - (my calculated lifetime risk 16-59 for women being raped is approx 16%, 1 in 5 is 20% (for serious sexual assault) - this would seem to be in the ballpark).
Summary - a woman has a 20% chance of suffering a serious sexual assault, and for those assaulted it is around 80% likely to be rape (16%). A male has a lower risk of about 3%. This contrasts with the message frequently broadcast by feminist in their 'rape culture apocalypse' - the difference is that my figures are real and should actually reflect reality in a reasonable correlation, whereas theirs are pulled from some inter-sectional arse, complete with gravy, and can be expected to reflect reality about as efficiently and accurately as a turd reflects a rainbow.
Is this a lot? Well, obviously any number is too many, but taken in context, rape has decreased about 80% since the middle of last century, and continues to drop. The impression that we are currently having some sort of growth in rape, causing a crisis, is just plain wrong. Let's consider prosecution and conviction rates while I am on it - both subjects of claims by feminists which seem extreme.
Of the estimate 85,000, 15,670 actual rapes were reported to the Police. This led to 3,850 cases of rape being handed to Crown Prosecution which, in turn led to 2,910 court proceedings and 1,070 convictions. Too low? Yes I agree. A lot of rapists getting away with it - female and male - and yes, many more male than female, no argument.
But it is NOT a patriarchal conspiracy or set-up, just humans doing what humans can do in a system which is inefficient and slow, but has the benefit of being as fair as we can make it with several centuries tinkering - the same system we use for every other alleged crime, up to and including murder. Feminist suggestions (close to reality unfortunately) that an allegation is enough; that apology should follow allegation, not conviction; and that rape allegations need to be believed unconditionally - are BOLLOX of the lowest hanging that would drive a coach and horses through the most crucial and established principles of natural justice, common law, and basic human values and reason. Feminists, it seems, would happily destroy the entire judicial and penal system to avoid facing the fact that some of their members LIE.
The further complication caused by this bunch is highlighted with a simple, but sincere question - do victims know what rape is when they report it? Feminists have consistently misled people about what constitutes rape over the last few years. Rape has been a use-all word, attached to terms such as 'stare' and 'speech'. I have little doubt that this has led to a problem of understanding amongst some victims and perpetrators. I have heard various non-rapine behaviour explicitly and deliberately defined as 'rape' over the past years, ranging from inappropriate touching, through verbal offence, and even taking in looking at a woman in a creepy or inappropriate manner (yes, yes, I know - you think that I MUST be exaggerating, not even feminists could be...could they? Yep, sorry, they really ARE that self-obsessed, narcissistic, and basically stupid 5
They have effectively tried to trivialise the word 'rape' for years, presumably blithely unaware of the predictable and obvious consequences of applying the term to an increasingly esoteric list of behaviours, many of which are not actually even slightly illegal, let alone heinous sexual assaults. Fortunately males generally are more sensible, more self controlled and less 'rapey' than portrayed and have mostly ignored the idiocy.